What is KESSFF?
Kenya Small Scale Farmers Forum is an organization of smallholder cash/food crops, pastoralists, livestock breeders, fisher folk and commodity interest groups. It was formed to enable farmers in Kenya to speak as a united voice so that their issues, concerns and recommendations become an integrated part of policies and practices at grass root and national levels.
Where does KESSFF Originate?
KESSFF traces its origin from the small scale farmer’s convergence (SFC) which was a parallel event at the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD) in Johannesburg, South Africa in August 2002.
It was attended by more than 300 small scale farmers from 19 countries representing Africa, Latin America, Canada, Europe and Asia. During the convergence, the farmer delegates formed the East and Southern Africa Small Scale Farmers Forum [ESAFF].
The farmers unanimously agreed that the farmers’ representatives from each country form ESAFF Chapters in their respective countries. Upon return in the country, the farmer representatives from Kenya held a post WSSD meeting in October 2002 and formed KESSFF.
When was KESSFF Established?
KESSFF was formed in October 2002 and registered as a society on 2nd of August 2004.
Vision of KESSFF
A world where smallholder farmers, fisher folk, pastoralists and livestock breeders are recognized at all levels and farming with dignity.
The Goal/Mission Statement
To empower smallholder farmers, fisher folk, pastoralists and livestock breeders with capacities to enhance equal partnership and lead sustainable and dignified livelihoods.
The Objectives of KESSFF
- To create awareness of the issues affecting the small scale farmers.
- Provide a forum for the small scale farmers to share their experiences, information and innovations.
- To Campaign, Lobby and Advocate for change
- To build the capacity of smallholder farmers in Kenya to enable them participate and contribute effectively in the development and formulation of policies in favor of small scale farmers.
- To promote farming as a way of life so as to alleviate poverty among small scale farmers in Kenya.
- To promote sustainable use and management of natural resources in Kenya.
- To establish links and networks with like-minded partners.
- To mobilize small scale farmers to harness resources for sustainable development.
- To promote use of indigenous systems in food production and environmental conservation.
Core values of KESSFF
- Mutual Trust
- Equal Participation
MEMBERS OF KESSFF
Kenya Small Scale Farmers Forum (KESSFF) is comprised of registered groups of small scale farmers, fisher folk and pastoralists / livestock breeders engaged in such activities in Kenya.
- Registered groups who are active and enthusiastic to improve the livelihood of their members.
- Groups that agree in principle on the aspirations of KESSFF.
- Groups willing to work closely with KESSFF in order to achieve its aspirations.
To implement the three year Strategic plan addressing:
- Institutional Development
- Sustainable livelihoods
- Influencing agricultural policies
- Health and HIV/Aids
THE LOCATION OF KESSFF
KESSFF National secretariat is located within SACDEP compound in Thika Town
P. O. Box 6123-01000, Thika